Saturday, November 17, 2012

Perspective

So, I have a student who barely comes to school. When he does come, he's either high or otherwise disengaged with the learning process. Come to find out, he has a horrible home life (absentee father, abusive mother) and bounces from relative to relative. He was also 'cut a deal' last year, and allowed to pass, even though he hardly did any school work last year. Well, this student approached me on Friday and basically called me out on my stuff. He told me that he can tell that I think less of him and that he really does want to pass my class. I shared parts of my story with him (grew up with a drug addicted mother, was a teen mom) and I think we've come to a new agreement. I definitely needed the perspective.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I think it's important to share our stories with students; it makes it easier for them to relate to/learn from us.