Monday, August 12, 2013

Vague-ish update

It's hard writing here without giving away too many specifics... I'm neutral about this school year. This is my 8th year of teaching and I think I'm hitting that 'seasoned and hardened' stage. I know that I still have a lot to offer and yet... I know that I haven't found my 'ideal' situation yet. Is there even such a thing? Can I find it without relocating? Will this place/ position closely match my philosophy of teaching? I'm determined to find out. I know my next career move has to require that I step forward as a teacher-leader. I've been complacent for way too long. I currently have no interest in an administrative position. However, I would love to be a teacher-activist and I can see myself as a comfortable & knowledgeable presenter. So, I guess this year is all about taking those small steps to see those goals realized. Well, I do have an opportunity in October to present to a group of colleagues, so there's a start!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm too close to retirement to worry about my next step, but find myself becoming more and more vocal and activist as time goes on. I think I would have made a decent administrator but had no desire to put in the time/effort to get the certification.

laniza said...

I hear you. I don't want to be an administrator, although I know that I would be good at it. There should be more tracks than just teach or administrate.